Situated in a rural area, the Dhonden Home is on a large block of land and there is a large unused portion of land at the front.
Some of the residents have been using this land to grow a few basic vegetables.
However, without any funding or proper support, this is very small scale.
WITH YOUR HELP, we would like to turn this fledging effort into an amazing project – a FRIENDSHIP GARDEN with enough fresh organic vegetables to provide for the Home, shaded seating, flowers and trees, all encircled by a wide path (so that those with walking frames or wheelchairs can enjoy it).
THE LOCAL SCHOOL KIDS will get involved and help set it up and use it to learn about the environment. They will also be able to enjoy a beautiful space in which friendships between the young and the old can develop.
Some of the elders who are reasonably fit will get involved, and we’ve already identified several ‘green thumbs’ among the elders. Those who are not so fit can still enjoy this beautiful environment by going for a stroll or sitting in the garden.
THE BENEFITS ARE MULTIPLE:
• Fresh, organic vegetables (compared to the pesticide-ridden, old produce that is trucked in from the Punjab region) giving the elders a safer and healthier diet
• Friendships between the young and the old
• Purposeful work and active engagement for those who are able and willing
• Cost-saving to the Home (which can be spent on other urgent needs for their care)
• Increased environmental awareness and promotion of organic gardening
• A beautiful space for the elders to get some fresh air, take a walk, sit in the sun and chat, thus significantly improving their physical and emotional well-being.